Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Modern Scrappy Bits Swap

It's no secret that I love swaps. I especially love simple and quick swaps. One of my favourite is Leona's Modern Scrappy Bits Swap. A quick project made with scraps, a fat quarters worth of scraps, a sewing notion and a postcard. Easy peasy.

I've participated in all four rounds that she's hosted. And this time, we were asked to make mug rugs. To be honest, I really don't care for mug rugs. I think it is kind of silly to have a rug just for a mug. My kids would swipe it in an instant for a doll quilt, Lego tent or train shed. So I just hang them on my wall.

I found a fun (and free) pattern on Craftsy for a mini-Dresden. The pattern includes photo instructions and a template for the wedges. The pattern calls for 19 wedges, but for some reason I could only fit 18. I'll try it again and see how many fit.

Mini Dresden
Rainbow Mini Dresden

The downside of the pattern is that it does not include a circle template. I found glass to trace, and used Oh Fransson's tutorial to make the centre.


Is the bike too much? Should I go for plain black and white dots?


And because I hate hand sewing, I sewed it down by machine. I think it would have looked nicer hand-stitched, (and hand quilted) so next time I'm going to give it a try.


Rainbow Dresden
Rainbow Mini Dresden Mug Rug

My partner asked for scraps in gray, green and blue, so this is what I pulled out of the bins.

Scraps for my partner
Blue, Green and Gray Scraps


And the package is now on it's way. Leona's already talking about Round 5 of the swap, with a Quilt As You Go theme. If you are interested, I definitely recommend joining.

What about you? Are you a swapper?

6 comments:

Carla said...

Hi Barb, this is darling! I think it looks very modern sewn down by machine. You did great!

Samantha said...

What a great mug rug! Thanks for the link to the mini dresden plate. I really want to make a pin cushion with one on top!

Liz said...

Oh I don't get mug rugs either, but that is gorgeous! I have found this great tip for appliqué circles involving tin foil and an iron. Drop me a line and I'll give you the deters! :-)

Cathy said...

It is lovely! And I agree about mug rugs! I, too, have been in each round and this is a great swap. I will be looking at #5. Quiilt as you go, cool!!!

Liz said...

Barb - you've won my giveaway. Flick me an email!

Deanna said...

I'm with you on the mug rugs. I don't get them either and so I use them for wall hangings. Love what you've made, especially the bike centre.