Friday, November 11, 2011

A Family Day

Today is Remembrance Day here in Canada. Along with taking the time to remember the horrible consequences of war and praying for peace, today is a much needed family day for us.

So today I am:

...baking yummy cinnamon buns. Thank you Pioneer Woman.


...teaching my 5-year old how to make paper snowflakes.


...creating homemade Christmas presents.


...listening to haunting war and peace songs on the Folk/Roots station

...loving my beautiful family.

...remembering my amazing maternal grandparents, who put their lives on hold to serve in the Canadian Air Force in WW2. My grandfather was stationed in India, and my grandmother worked as a dietitian in a Montreal hospital. Thankfully they both returned safely to Canada, and I am so proud of their contribution.

How are you spending your Remembrance Day?

3 comments:

Alisa said...

Remembering. We stood outside in the pouring rain for an hour at the cenotaph. I told my kids to remember all the soldiers in the trenches in the cold and rain for days and days on end. No baths, no gas fireplace, no bed to climb into at night. All that so we can. After that they didn't complain about the rain. And we came home and got warm again.

My own grandparents were teenagers during the war but they sure remember some of the horrible things that happened (they lived in Holland.)

Latane Barton said...

We have Veterans Day in the U. S. It was yesterday and the weather was awful, cold and windy so I elected to go today to the veterans cemetery where my husband is buried. There will be flags flying on every grave in honor of those who fought so brave.

Nanette Merrill said...

Those rolls look divine.