Monday, January 31, 2011

Over to the dark side...

Thanks everyone for your kind comments on my sister's quilt. I received some great name suggestions...but I think in the end, I'll just christen this one "Laura's Quilt" since it was made for my sister's wedding.

One of the reasons that I actually finished this quilt is because I machine stitched the binding. I used Rita's tutorial from Red Pepper Quilts and it worked out beautifully. I think I have officially gone over to the dark side. I might never hand stitch a binding again. Sorry to all of you quilting purists.

Machine binding on Laura's Quilt

See...it didn't turn out too bad. I just used lots of pins, and followed Rita's directions. The only thing I did differently was that I used 2.5" strips rather than 2.25". I think I needed that extra wiggle room. I did have to go back and redo a couple of spots on each side that didn't catch, but I can't even tell now that it is all done.

I also got a start on my quilt for Doll Quilt Swap 10. I don't have a great idea of my partner's style, so I'm playing it safe this round. Here is a shot of the trimmings. They seemed to get a positive response over on Flickr.

Now I just have to decide on the background. Any thoughts? Do you like white, light gray (ash), medium gray or something darker (Kona Charcoal or Coal) with yellow and aqua? Or should I invest in some linen? I'd love an opinion. I'm off to Vancouver on the weekend I've heard a rumour that this store has all 221 Kona Solids in stock. Heaven!

3 comments:

Poppyprint said...

Hey, you're off to Vancouver!!! Got any time for coffee? I could meet you at Spool to drool over the Kona. I'm not sure if all of the colours have arrived yet, but if not they are expected any day. I think yellow and aqua looks amazing on a medium grey.

Jodi-JoJoMia's Place said...

I just bought some cotton/linen blend I need to try out. I just love the look of solid linen backgrounds.

felicity said...

Yes, gray and yellow look lovely! Pardon me while I invite myself to coffee...I'm a 10 minute drive from all those Kona lovelies....