Wednesday, July 14, 2010

I really don't need another project...

I have to admit that I'm not always completely honest about the number of projects I have on the go at one time. Sure I have a small list on my sidebar, but the truth is that I have way more in the works that I have blogged about once or not at all. It seems that in the past year I've become extremely good at starting projects and terrible at finishing them. I think it is all the gorgeous inspiration out there. I'm hoping that I'll get to the point where I can disclose all of those projects, but today, instead, I'm just going to share a new start!

I've been in love with Joelle Hoverson's colourwheel quilt forever. And then of course my idol, Melanie, made a gorgeous hand quilted one, and I knew it was time to make one for myself. So I got the book out of the library, and made myself a template of the wedge and pretty much left it there. 


Until, I met a new bloggy friend, Holly. She blogged about her start and I commented that I was working on one too (or at least I had the intention of making one anyway). Then she suggested a fabric swap. What a wonderful idea...so I got right to cutting. 


I got 22 wedges cut the other night. I seem to have lots of pinks and oranges, but I'm lacking in the blues and purples. I can't wait to swap with Holly so that I can round out my colour wheel.


And I'm determined to finish this one. This summer. So I can hang it in my new house! And so that it won't join the growing mass of UFO's in my sewing room.

How about you? Have you made a colour wheel quilt? Do you start one project and finish it? Or are you like me and have quilting ADD?

5 comments:

Dolly said...

This will look really good when you get all the fabrics that you have in mind. Stick with it and LOVE IT !

I seem to finish current projects (ones that I'm starting these days) pretty well, but I have several OLDER ones that I just really don't WANT to go back to. I mean, really nice quilts that I just don't even like anymore !
Times change, fabrics change, styles that we like change..............I'm finding that it's not really a good idea to put something aside for long......unless you need things to pass down to the granddaughter ! Hope she likes 80's fabrics !

Holly said...

I can't feel guilty for causing you to increase your stack of UFOs when I see how lovely your colour wheel is looking already! I'm looking forward to swapping with you!

Jackie's Stitches said...

Your color wheel project is looking really good.

I don't see anything wrong with having a stack of UFO's (undisclosed of not). To me, the purpose is to have fun. A finish now and then is nice too!

Nanette Merrill said...

I've always wanted to make a color wheel too. Someday. Yours is going to be ggreat.

Rebecca said...

I am just about finished with my color wheel- I only have to hand sew the back of the binding on. I really like how yours is starting out! I wanted to make one, but was intimidated and ended up buying the kit from Purl Soho- I wish that I had put my own together! Yours is looking great!

As for finishing- I was doing that too- starting a lot of things and not finishing much. So I gave myself a deadline- and I wasn't allowed to buy more fabric or start anything new until I finished my list of projects. So now, here I am, coming up on my deadline (the birth of my 2nd baby- due next Friday) and I have finished so many things! And now I am starting to plan more projects and it really feels good to have all the other things done! I started breaking my projects down into specific tasks so I could still feel like I was completeing things on a daily basis. For example- instead of having- make color wheel quilt on my list- it would be cut color fabrics for wheel, cut background fabrics, assemble 1st quadrant, etc. It really helped with my motivation. I use an iPhone app to track my tasks. :)

Sorry for the long ramble...this is just a topic that I have been dealing with very much this summer- and have gotten to be somewhat passionate about!!