Monday, June 14, 2010

Oops I forgot a title...how about Hand Sewing Convert?!?

I decided to join the local Quilt Guild here in Prince George. Everyone was extremely welcoming at last month's meeting and there were even a couple of members close to my age with young(ish) kids.

The Guild has an Applique Social twice a month - but the nice ladies told me that any kind of hand sewing is just fine. I don't do much hand sewing (I actually have 2 quilts in my house that are currently being used on beds that have only about 75% of the binding sewn on). But I'm in desperate need of some social time.

So last week I printed out some of Melanie's 1" hexes and joined the group. It was fabulous. I got my much needed social time with other women who love fabric and sewing as much as I do. And I got to make some fun hexagons. I may become a hand-sewing convert. And I may have to join Melanie's Quilt Along too.

What about you? Do you like to hand sew? If so, what do you like to make?

6 comments:

peaknits said...

Hi there - I found you in the pincushion swap group - and I have to say - this swap has got me trying hexies, and hand sewing - so fun indeed! Yours are fabulous! I am going to check out the quilt-a-long - I love biting off more than I can chew whenever possible:)

Jackie's Stitches said...

I haven't taken on a hand sewing project yet but I must admit the hexies are something I think I could easily be interested in. They are all so beautiful!

Melanie said...

Yeah, Barb! Your hexies look adorable. I'm really enjoying doing more handwork. There's something very relaxing about it and I love the fact that you can do it anywhere; you don't have to be within a few feet of an electrical outlet!

How fun to find a great group of women to connect with!

Marianne Penner said...

Your green hexagons are so cute!

Jessica Christensen said...

I've done a lot of handquilting in my time and hand applique. I just started doing the hexies, but that will be new. I've never sewn a whole quilt together by hand. A little daunting, but I'll just plan for it to take a while.

Lucie said...

I stumbled across your blog through the doll quilts--and i like the bird quilts you made.